Bugs come in all shapes and sizes. The effects of bug bites and stings depend largely on the bug that has bitten or stung you and the intensity of the allergic reaction you have from those bug bites. People have allergic reactions to bug bites and stings because of the venom these insect inject into the skin of their victims. This venom or saliva aids in their digestive processes. In the case of certain spiders, the venom paralyzes their prey so feeding can occur.
Most bug bites are annoying but harmless causing a lot of itching, a bit of swelling, and some redness around the affected area. Many bug bites can be quite painful as well. Spiders and scorpions are bugs to watch out for because of the pain factor.
Most severe reactions to bug bites cause a condition called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis symptoms are more dangerous than the common allergy reaction to bug bites. Some of the anaphylaxis symptoms include: trouble breathing, wheezing, dry mouth, sore throat, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, chills, coma and death.
Treatment for bug bites
The most logical first step is get away from the assaulting colony of bees or which ever insect is the culprit.
If you have been stung by a bee you must remove the stinger immediately, the more time spend in the skin the more possibility of venom entering the wound site. Remove the stinger with tweezers.
A word of caution, if you have not successfully removed the stinger you will need to get medical attention. Thoroughly wash the affected area with soap and water.
Apply an ice pack to sting bites to help prevent inflammation.
For tick bites remove the tick with tweezers, or adhesive tap.
If the bug bite site is very itchy, you can take an antihistamine such as Benadryl; one or two tablets every six hours.
You can also use a topical cream containing hydrocortisone.
For anaphylaxis symptoms you must get a prescription for epinephrine or adrenaline depending up the area of the world that you live in. Follow the directions to the tee and carry the prescription around with you at all times.
Having the proper medication on hand when an anaphylaxis reaction occurs can be the difference between life and death.
If you do not have a prescription, call 911 or find the way to get yourself to the hospital immediately for medical care.
It is always wise to keep a first aid kit handy, not buried under piles of junk in the attic or garage. Find a place such as a kitchen or bathroom cabinet in your home to store the bug bites kit. Have a kit tucked in the glove compartment of your car and take it on outings and trips with you. The items you will need the most often are tweezers, pain relievers, ice packs, topical ointments with hydrocortisone, adhesive tape, bandages, scissors, alcohol and or alcohol pads, band-aids, sterile gauzes, peroxide, anti bacterial cleaning swaps, and even though not included in your kit, make sure you have a cell phone that you can use if you are in an out of the reach place such as a remote camping area